Best source for examples

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Mar 8 10:56:54 EST 2006

On Feb 27, 2006, at 8:49 AM, Andy wrote:

> Can anyone point me to some resources, examples etc for Rev? I'm
> new to it
> (i.e. last Friday), and being a PHP programmer, I'm still trying to
> get my
> head around the concepts!

Hi Andy,

I imagine you have 2.7 so check out Help->Getting Started and Help-
 >User Guide.  Also check out the Rev scripting conferences at
<http://downloads.runrev.com/section/scriptingconferences.php>.

Having moved from PHP as a primary development language to Rev, I
would recommend the following:

1) Get really familiar with the Revolution message path.
Understanding the message path can bring you joy, not understanding
the message path will bring you pain ;-)  Check out Richard Gaskin's
article on it "Extending the Runtime Revolution Message Path" at
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/
revolution_message_path.html>

2) Become familiar with chunk expressions and the Transcript array.
Transcript doesn't have objects and arrays like PHP but you will find
that you can often use Transcript "lists" where you used PHP arrays
and Transcript "arrays" where you used PHP objects.  You just need to
get into the Transcript mindset.  Open the User Guide from 2.7 and
search for Array.  That should bring up some useful information.  The
scripting conference has a session on chunks.

3) Search for "start using" in Help->Dictionary.  This is basically
what you can use as a replacement for "require" and "include" in PHP
if you have code you want available everywhere in a project.

4) Unfortunately, Revolution doesn't have any application frameworks
that are publicly available at the moment.  This means everyone is
kind of on their own.  You have to create your own standard
libraries, user data storage routines (prefs and application state
such as window positions, etc.).  This isn't a show stopper but is a
HUGE barrier to entry for new developers IMO.  Look at creating your
own libraries (see point 3) of common routines.

Hopefully that will get you started.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - http://www.bluemangolearning.com