In-line Fraction with Horizontal Line

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Mar 7 16:08:49 EST 2006

>Message: 33
>Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:55:55 -0700
>From: Mark Greenberg <markgreenberg at cox.net>
>Subject: In-line Fraction with Horizontal Line
>To: Runtime Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Fellow list members, I have a problem for which I can only find
>difficult or unsatisfactory solutions, and I was hoping you might
>have some suggestions.
>
>I am making a stack to teach students math -- linear equations, to be
>more precise.  When I display the y = mx + b form, the best I can do
>to show a fraction in the m position is something like y = 4/5x + 2.
>This is ambiguous because it isn't clear what should be taken as the
>divisor, 5 or 5x or 5x + 2.  The math teacher for whom I am making
>the game would prefer a horizontal division line instead of a slash.
>
>So far this is what I've thought of and rejected:
>
>Use fonts that have fractions built in as one character.  No, because
>they have too few for the range of possible slopes I want to generate.
>
>Force the numerals around as subscripts and superscripts until it is
>clear what the fraction is.  Messy and probably won't lead to success.
>
>Use inline images.  Need too many images to cover possible slopes.
>
>Write it y = (4/5)x + 2.  This is mathematically acceptable, but not
>the way the students will see it elsewhere.
>
>Use a different 2-line field that moves according to the location of
>the fraction.  Hmm.. maybe.
>
>I could use some help on this one.
>
>	TIA,
>		Mark

Mark,

This won't help you with this question but  the math teacher might be
interested in SupAndSub.rev

It facilitates typing equations.

In the message box:

go url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/SupAndSub.rev"

To answer your question, I guess I would  try using separate fields
for the num and dem of the fraction with a graphic line in between. I
presume the slope is always represented by the fraction?

Jim