(Revenge of) [direct access with Rev built-in SQL] vs. [server-sidescripts] to access a multiuser remote DB

sadhu at castandcrew.com sadhu at castandcrew.com
Tue Mar 7 14:55:25 EST 2006

Howdy,

I hadn't seen your page before (I'm not usually on this list) so I will
take a look.  Yep, I've tried both (cgi versus direct).  Pierre likes the
indirect method of your x Talk CGI calling another stack which is using
the direct access library so then you could potentially re-use much of the
same code in a client app, and a cgi method.

I've also used bash scripts writing out SQL and calling psql (mysql) from
the command line, which is again easier for me than perl, php, etc.

I prefer to put the code in the client app, easier yet I think.  (as you
say, no switching gears).  but what about security?  well you set up your
database so access is limited to one user, and you set the password field
in the build stand alone settings so the connection info in the executable
is encrypted.  Also, use SSL.

I feel that covers it but I would not be surprised if people dispute this;
security is getting tougher.

Aloha,
Sadhu