shortFilePath function not working

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 15:01:09 EST 2006

I've been struggling with this one for a couple days now.

Can anyone think of any reason why shortFilePath() would not return a
valid 8.3 file path?  I am seeing some very strange behavior with
it.  I have two standalones.  The first was built a few months back,
the second just a few days ago.  They both have a line of script that
calls shortFilePath, and then uses that path later in order to call
an external exe.  The first standalone works perfectly.  The second
does not.  The code between the two is exactly the same as far as I
can tell.  But in the second one, shortFilePath is not converting the
path.  The docs say that the function does not actually check for
existence of a file, so it should convert the path regardless.  I
cannot for the life of me figure out why it's not working in the
second standalone.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris