The End of Dreamcard?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Mon Mar 6 12:50:55 EST 2006

Tom wrote:

>Tim,
>
>--snip--

>As far as rewards go, I made a promise to myself years back (after a
>bit of youthful trouble) that in my new life I would learn something
>new everyday and have been doing so for 20 years now. The new things
>that I learn everyday from using HC, SC and now Rev have been part
>of my rewards. Also, some of the opportunities that this knowledge
>has opened up for me have been my rewards. Lastly, the monetary
>rewards although small definitely make it worthwhile.
>
>Maybe it is the possibility of future rewards that keeps me riding
>this wave. I love the learning part and hope I always will.

Hi Tom,

I know the foregoing comment is mean to be supportive, but I'm afraid
it has the opposite effect. Learning something new every day, at
minimum, is a value we both share. On the other hand, if I learn
something new today, something new about how to program a computer is
going to be low on my priority list. I'd prefer to learn something
new about literature, art, music, history, current affairs, science,
my profession, a new physical recreation, a hiking trip, making a new
friend, etc. Constantly climbing the computer learning curve
interferes with pursuing those interests I value more.

Cheers,

Tim