The End of Dreamcard?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Sun Mar 5 00:06:53 EST 2006

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Charles Hartman wrote:

> Right. There's the point. When you buy something like Hypercard, or
> Dreamcard, you're buying a GUI builder and programming lanuage. But a
> GUI builder and programming language in which you can't control the
> screen even to the extent of getting rid of a backdrop sounds to me
> like a parameterized PowerPoint. The feature-comparison page on the
> web site (Media can't connect even to a mySQL database, can't do CGI,
> but has nice "templates" for people who don't want to program
> anything) says pretty plainly that Media is no replacement for
> Dreamcard.

--For the price -- roughly half of what Hypercard last sold for --  it
seems fair enough.  Can you do mySQL and CGIs in PowerPoint? (not being
nasty: I really don't know but doubt it as I don't think it has a
scripting language).

As for templates, I, for one, am doing the Snoopy dance.  Hypercard had
them and some of us have been asking for this for a very long time
(although I recall being the very person who's complained about them in
other apps) @;-)

Judy