The End of Dreamcard?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Mar 4 08:15:27 EST 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 11:58 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Minus: Media has a backdrop that's always present

Right. There's the point. When you buy something like Hypercard, or
Dreamcard, you're buying a GUI builder and programming lanuage. But a
GUI builder and programming language in which you can't control the
screen even to the extent of getting rid of a backdrop sounds to me
like a parameterized PowerPoint. The feature-comparison page on the
web site (Media can't connect even to a mySQL database, can't do CGI,
but has nice "templates" for people who don't want to program
anything) says pretty plainly that Media is no replacement for
Dreamcard.

I have asked the same question about updates -- $50, by March 10, for
a terminal year of updates to a program nobody's going to support
after that? -- but not gotten an answer yet.

The main answer seems loud and clear: we're supposed to shift to Studio.

Charles