Maximum image size

Howard Bornstein howard.bornstein at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 23:54:56 EDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Sarah Reichelt <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com> wrote:

> A while ago, someone (Richard?) was discussing the limits on an image
> size to be displayed in Rev. I have a rather crude function for
> deciding this, so would now like to replace it with a more exact
> calculation but I can't find this info in the docs or in the list
> archives.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find it, or does anyone still have the post?
>
> TIA,
> Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Here's a post from Scott Raney on bugzilla (bug 1859) where he talks about
the image size limits on the Mac:

This is a fundamental limitation in the MacOS image architecture: the rowBytes
field of the PixMap image structure has a maximum value of 4000 (hex) which on
a 32-bit display works out to 4096 pixels.  (see
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/QuickDraw_Ref/qdref_m
ain/data_type_41.html).  This can be worked around but only by writing a lot
of code to handle all the manipulation using local instead of OS routines, so
for now I'm downgrading to an enhancement and reassigning to Tuv (since I no
longer do Mac development).

So 4096 X 4096 seems to be the current image size limit. But I'm sure I read
somewhere that this was going to be "fixed" in an upcoming version of Rev,
where this limitation (I believe it's a limitation of QuickDraw) will be
removed.

--
Regards,

Howard Bornstein