[OT] Market Share

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 06:15:21 EDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> Frankly, 58% in 2007 seems laughable.

If 90% of home PCs run Windows and 10% run OSX, yet 50% of the Windows users
use a pirated copy whilst for OSX it is only 5%, what is the market share?

Unfortunately where I live I guarantee less than 50% of home PC users have a
legal copy of Windows. Most Mac users I know have legal copies although this
is a little skewed in that I belong to a MUG so most users I know get deals
on OSX upgrades etc. Also the same market forces that effect the lack of Mac
compatible software also effects the lack of Mac compatible pirate software
but to a greater degree - would you risk going to gaol for such a small
market?

Is having 99.9% of the pirated software market good or bad?

Anyway, I believe the 'paid' market share is a lot smaller that people
realise, which is probably why I see far more commercials for 'don't buy
pirated' and 'buy legal Windows'.