Unacceptable File Size Increase

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Wed Jun 28 12:30:52 EDT 2006

Blair,

I am not sure I understand completely what you're doing with your stack, but
two thing pop out at me.

The first is: Have you considered using a database like FileMaker Pro to
manage the information in your system? This will impose some structure and
order on what you're doing. It will separate the information you're storing
from the presentation. (So you don't have to go in and "manually" update the
design of all the substacks, for example.) You will still be able to script
things, but you'll find the need for scripting diminished greatly. A free,
fully-functional 30-day trial is available from
http://www.filemakertrial.com

The second is: Have you looked at groups that behave like "backgrounds?"
These would let you share one design across multiple cards. When you updated
the appearance of a group on one card, it would also update the appearance
on other cards. Though, I haven't tried to use them across substacks.

As I mentioned in another post, Rev should automatically compress a stack
when you choose the Save command from the File menu (but it won't went you
issue a save command from a script). So try that at least once. If the file
size remains large, then it would seem that you are leaving a lot of stuff
around in the stack, perhaps hidden, that is making it bloat up. Like
images/bitmaps. Or perhaps you are repeating the same image on every card?
Again, backgrounds would probably eliminate this problem.

- Bill

p.s.: what make the post hard to read wasn't so much the length but the lack
of space between paragraphs :)

"Blair Morrissey" <blairmorrissey at mac.com> wrote in
message news:B1825729-9708-4EDF-9EFB-724AC2FEC158 at mac.com...