U3 apps and rev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 27 16:47:38 EDT 2006

Peter T. Evensen wrote:

> Is it really "hot unplugging shutdown" or do you only get the shutdown
> messages when you choose eject from the U3 menu?

The gentleman from U3 at RevCon, Nathan Gold, gave a very polished
presentation of the "smart" drives, which included a demonstration of
this notification in action -- it is indeed sent when the device is
removed, provided your application has been written to respond to the
message.

While it's handy to have that notification, I can see only two
real-world uses for it:

- Unique to U3: If you need to leave a machine immediately, you can have
apps shut down instantly.  The downside to this of course is that you'd
lose any data in memory, but you would have an instant exit.

- Not unique to U3: Your app can advise the user that they need to
re-insert the device in order to save their data.  While convenient to
provide that notice at the time the drive is removed, you can also
provide that notice in any app running from any removable media when a
Save is attempted and the volume is no longer present.

The "U4" initiative (which aims to provide a helpful subset of U3
behaviors for all removable drives) encourages the latter at a minimum,
and may include a polling mechanism to provide the former as well:

"U4" attempts to put the "Universal" back in "USB". :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal