export PNG weirdness

Chris Carroll-Davis asgg35 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 27 08:09:59 EDT 2006

Hello all.

I want to output a transparent PNG of formatted text in a field.
Fine. I use the following script that acts on a non-opaque field:

on mouseUp
   put "/Users/chris/Desktop/transtext.png" into fPath
   export snapshot from field "transText" to file fPath as PNG
end mouseUp

Works fine if just "roman" text is used in field.  Makes a lovely RGB
png with black text on a transparent background.

However... if I type in some Japanese text into the field, I get
square black blobs instead of Japanese characters.   If I set the
opaque of the field to true the text renders correctly but on a solid
background - which, naturally, I don't want...  Interestingly, if the
field contains just Japanese, the resulting png seems to be generated
as an 8-bit indexed colour image.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I guess there is some issue with
the way Rev renders unicode(?) in a field.

Chris