How to use externals

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 15:58:07 EDT 2006

--- Rob Beynon <r.beynon at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I need to be able to call an external .exe file (XP)
> from a Rev stack.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction, and
> ideally, show me where
> in the documentation I need to go to sort this out
> for myself. I'm not
> sure what the 'trigger' word is: 'external'? Thus
> far I can't seem to
> find a simple example or guidance. Much appreciated,
> as ever. I know I
> am a net receiver on this list, but hope that will
> change in the
> fullness of time.
>
> --
> All best wishes,
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Klaus already mentioned the 'launch' and 'open
process' commands ; in addition, you can also run the
executable using the 'shell' function.
This way, if the target app is a command-line tool,
you can read back the result of calling the executable
as written to 'stdout'.
Please note that using the 'shell' function will block
your application until the .exe has finished running.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>