U3 apps and rev

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon Jun 26 01:15:33 EDT 2006

Richard,

thanks for this post, it was a real breath of fresh air to me. it
seemed exactly what i thought was the case with U3, flash drives and
rev and was a very direct and honest assessment/path to this kind of
technology and the possibilities. I am glad you dont speak
marketspeak, i'm tired of trying to learn new dialects and translate!

cheers,

jeff

On Jun 25, 2006, at 10:41 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> U3 is a new application of a very old Windows-specific technology:
> the
> autorun.inf file.
>
> On any locked volume, Windows will look for an autorun.inf file
> and, if
> found, will launch whatever executable is specified in the file.
>
> A "U3" drive is essentially a flash drive partitioned into two parts:
> one read-only with the autorun.inf file and the Launchpad app, and the
> other partition the user writes to.  Windows sees the locked
> partition,
> finds the autorun.inf, opens Launchpad, and for anyone who's never
> seen
> a CD do this in Windows it looks like magic. :)

snip...