U3 apps and rev

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Mon Jun 26 00:19:14 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Andre Garzia wrote:
[snip]
> A "U3" drive is essentially a flash drive partitioned into two parts:
> one read-only with the autorun.inf file and the Launchpad app, and the
> other partition the user writes to.  Windows sees the locked partition,
> finds the autorun.inf, opens Launchpad, and for anyone who's never seen
> a CD do this in Windows it looks like magic. :)

And there's a fault with the logic of this technology, and that is, that
all Windows installations allow the autorun functionality.  A lot of
Windows users turn that feature off because they get so tired of Windows
going through all the BS when all they want is to grab some backup files
off of a CD.

In my mind, you don't need any association with U3 at all, you have
everything you need right in Rev Studio or Enterprise.  In fact, you
have it better than U3 since you are cross platform, you can offer a
portable app that is cross platform and not limited to Windows.

In fact, if you wanted, any one of you could come up with the software
needed to do exactly what U3 is doing with the partitioning and auto
launching, provided you wanted to even bother with such a thing.

But! If you need to make a push into the Windows market, then maybe U3
might be of use.

Anyway, that's my 1/100th of a euro worth.

-Garrett