Menubar Problems

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Jun 25 13:16:43 EDT 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 07:02:59 -0400, John Miller
<johnmiller1950 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I am writing a stack in which I want a different menubar for each of
> the two cards in the stack.  One of my menubars works OK.  However,
> the second one won't display all of the items. (i.e. in the "File"
> button" it shows only the first three menu items; same for "Edit"
> etc.)
>
> These display correctly in Windows XP, but not under a Mac OS X.
>
> Also, when I use windows, the third menu btn is overwritten with a
> "Help" button.  In my menubar, the third button is "Controls."  Under
> Windows, that button appears as "Help ols".  The button works OK, but
> I can't get it to display correctly.
>

> Can anyone shed light on these problems?

The number of menu items you see when you pull down the menu is
apparently governed by a property (a number  which you can set using
the Inspector for the particular menu (button) in your menubar group.
In the Inspector pane, it's near the bottom, headed "Display"
<number> "items". Just pick the number you want: maybe Windows
ignores this (I haven't done a test), but your experience suggests it
is needed anyway for OSX. I think this property is 'the menulines',
but the documentation suggests that this has no effect for a pulldown
list. All very odd, but worth experimenting with.

As to the overlapping menu names in the bar, you have to edit the
menuBar group and move the individual menu buttons along so they
don't bump into each other. It is probable that a different font will
be used for OSX and Windows, so if you are picky you may have to make
two versions.

If you want to see the menubar under OSX so that you can edit it, you
have to set the editMenus to true (you can do this in the message box).

HTH

Graham