U3 apps and rev

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Sun Jun 25 11:40:37 EDT 2006

> Just saw the newsletter article on revolution and U3 apps. I
> am a bit confused about why you would need U3 compatibility
> with Rev since you can make standalones that do not require
> anything to be installed and run fine from a flash drive (i
> actually keep a couple of my rev cdrom multimedia apps on a
> flash drive to show off, easier than carting CDs in your
> pocket!). so im wondering what the U3 specifications are
> adding for rev.

U3 provides an API for handling issues like intelligent shut downs and
specific device IDs among others. Your "identity" exists on the smart drive,
not on whatever host you are on, and to be U3 compliant means you arent
leaving registry doodle on whatever computer you are using.

> you might want to have access to? they have a little start
> panel you can get onto for the drive. something to just say
> you are U3 enabled? it seems like having to jump through U3's
> hoops rather than much rev has to do than it already does.
> Sorry i just smell more marketing here than technology, but
> maybe im wrong and if so would be interested in hearing other
> views. There is no mention of licensing fees (or potential
> future ones) on their site for U3, but its not very explicit
> content to make a firm decision on.

Somewhere between marketing and technology are solutions - that's where U3
and Revolution both sit. One example of something you could achive as a
developer is to create apps that are specifically licensed for a specific U3
drive - kind of like a dongle that also contains the app it runs.

I think what you are really asking with licensing fees is - where does U3
make money, if not from me (and do they want to squeeze me later)? They make
money off of the very large flash drive makers for licensing. Its to their
benefit that U3 compliant apps are available. And, with their Software
Central venue, they are in a position to help you reach a lot of potential
customers who are specifically looking for U3 compliant apps.

> Also the article stated you would need an enterprise license
> to do U3. isnt this just another version of the XP engine?
> Shouldnt you be able to make standlanones with this engine
> like you can with a studio license like all the other current
> platforms (the article stated you required an enterprise
> license, but maybe thats only for the beta?)

The beta is available for Enterprise customers but after its been finalized
it will show up in the other products.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Worldwide Business Operations