Windows system tray

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Jun 25 11:36:07 EDT 2006

Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> > When I minimise an app in Windows, I get an entry along the bottom in
>> > the task bar. I would really like to be able to get nothing but a
>> > small icon in the system tray.
>>
>> *you* might like that.
>> What would your Windows users - who are presumably more familiar with
>> the way Windows usually works - like ?
>>
>> I suspect they might be confused by such a non-standard behaviour,
>> unless it's a "system" app (network connections, wifi status and
>> anti-virus/firewall are about the only ones I've seen do that).
>

> It is for one particular app that runs permanently in the background,
> so I thought it a suitable candidate for the system tray. I've also
> had several requests to put it there, but as you all know, I am no
> Windows expert, so if this is deprecated in the Windows world, please
> let me know.

No, it's not (AFAIK) deprecated - merely unusual and is just fine in the
right circumstances; from your description, this sounds very much like
the right kind of app to do this.

Sorry for being alarmist (just there are too many cases of companies
that port from one platform to another and  keeping "the right" UI from
the platform they are used to, rather than adapting the platform
standard one - Apple is a good example).