"video/audio capture and more"

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jun 23 16:38:58 EDT 2006

Aloha Paola:

After further research on the matter we are going to get (got one...
testing now) a scan converter (hardware)  that takes a DV signal from
any source and outputs to any destination. to capture both visual and
audio for a rect of say 800 X 600 pixels with any quality, for say..
20 minutes... you are talking about a *huge* amt of data and CPU
power. I talked to the senior production manager at Total Training in
New York (we use a lot of their CBT DVD's) and after describing our
needs he said that tools on-board tools just won't be able to handle
it. They use a $25,000 scan converter there (Yikes! not in our
budget) but he had some other recommendations for <$1,000.00 that he
said would do well

Apple Education recommended a Canopus box <$500.00 if you can qualify
for edu, which we do... but we are not very happy with the output and
just in the middle of R & D on this whole thing...but the concept is
marvelous, you plug your computer into the box, run your
presentation, and the output from the box goes to a DVD recorder (or
anything else you care to wire  up... )

Changing the audio codec doesn't get you much... in experiments with
QT here, 80% of the data is in the video stream, at least with my few
tests, but I'm no expert... we are kind of fumbling along with this
research. If anyone can chime in here that  would be great.

It would really be a huge feature bump if Revolution could actually
dump to QT run time... but, I think, as I often do, that I'm asking
for moon cheese.

Sivakatirswami