PDFs displayed in Player!

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jun 22 14:59:17 EDT 2006

Roger,

This all sounds well and good, but I seriously doubt RunRev has any
chance of talking Apple into porting PDF display to Windows.
Likewise, RunRev providing it's own PDF viewer implementation would be
a colossal project. There's a reason why even Apple took a very long
time to provide OS-level support, and most 3rd party apps that display
PDFs still are actually powered by Acrobat Reader. FWIW, it is possible
to write an external tied to Acrobat, but Adobe's licensing fees are
beyond what most people are willing to pay.

I would say that we're most likely not going to see this until both
Windows and MacOS provide reasonable OS-level hooks, whether through
Quicktime or not. (Note: PDF display is possible on MacOS through the
Quartz drawing engine - which is one level lower than Quicktime)...