[OT (slightly) ] Re: Please confirm your message

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Jun 20 17:17:43 EDT 2006

Alex,

The person in question is using "BoxTrapper" -esque technology. I have it on
a couple of my email addresses too. Basically, mail has to come from someone
I whitelist. If they are not on my whitelist, they get a similar message
(though I've edited mine to be more sardonic and personal).

His real problem is not that he's using BoxTrapper, and not that he doesn't
have basic spam manners, but that he's also set the list to deliver emails
to him immediately (as opposed to a digest). Those emails show as coming NOT
from the RunRev list address, but rather as from YOUR address. That is why
you get the message.

The user can add the revolution list email to his whitelist, but there's no
way for him to add every individual member -- that list is not available to
him. So anytime someone new posts something they will get this, "please
verify you're a human being" email.

FWIW, I don't get these emails from him, probably because I use gmane, and
gmane obscures my email address.

The best thing to do is to just click his link. One click and you won't get
the message anymore. A lot easier than writing all about it I think. Then,
once he can start to see your emails you might convince him to modify his
listserv settings, and/or use gmane.

"Alex Tweedly" <alex at tweedly.net> wrote in
message news:449861ED.4020500 at tweedly.net...