Laptop diary tool in REV - Glyphs

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Jun 19 12:11:18 EDT 2006

Mark, et al:

> many of the routine actions we perform with computers are not so
> easily represented by a simple 16X16 picture

A simple 16x16 picture is worth at least 50 words:

In my HyperCard wine production system--which may yet see life as a Rev
app some day--I have three variations of the icon for wine code that
show the same bunch of grapes as red, white, and rose.  Whenever a wine
code is displayed the label is set to the indicate the color of that
wine.

I have six variations of the bottled product icon.  The three different
colors are shown in two bottle shapes: one for bulk-fermented wines and
one for bottle-fermented wines.  Where ever a product is displayed, the
winemaker knows immediately the color and type of wine.

Additionally, there are five variations on the sparkling
(bottle-fermented) wine icon that rotate the bottle position through
the five stages of bottle fermentation [sur latte, pointage, riddling,
disgorging, and labeling].

That's a lot of information being conveyed by a simple 16x16 picture,
sez moi.

...and it doesn't begin to explore animating icons using all the icon
properties (armed, disabled, etc.) built in to Revolution.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company