Laptop diary tool in REV - Glyphs

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sun Jun 18 12:37:09 EDT 2006

On 18 Jun 2006, at 16:28, Rob Cozens wrote:

> what better method is available to present the UI in a manner that
> those who don't speak the language of the programer may understand?

But this can all too easily result in presenting the UI in a manner
that no-one <except> the programmer understands, and even the
programmer may have trouble if she's hasn't looked at it for a while.
OK, a picture of a train with an arrow will suggest to anyone who
knows what a train is that the station is that-away, but many of the
routine actions we perform with computers are not so easily
represented by a simple 16X16 picture - all anglophones tend to agree
on what 'separate' means, but should the zipper icon mentioned in my

> And using icons as label fields and column headings has a MAJOR
> advantage over text: they remain the same size regardless of the
> the language.  So if one is translating an application from French
> to German, for example, one need not be concerned whether the
> German label text takes up more field space than the same text in
> French.

The major advantage is only to the programmer - not a good substitute
for proper internationalization. And tool-tips, though they have
their uses, really don't cut it - if the user can't fathom what what
the un-captioned little pictures mean (either because of cultural
differences, or because of poor choices by the programmer), then she
has to hover her mouse over each icon until she finds the one she
wants. Captions, in the users own language, are incomparably better.

It seems to me that pictures are great where one can assume a shared
frame of reference (nearly everyone knows about trains, and trains
tend to look quite alike everywhere), but when striving for clarity
in a UI, I think it's essential to remember that humans tend to use
language, far more than anything else, for the purpose of
communicating information effectively.

Why abandon language, when it's so much more clear and efficient than
just about anything else?

Best,

Mark