System Requirements

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhosting.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 07:04:22 EDT 2006

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The requirements on the runrev homepage are really old. Most platforms
> in that list are currently unsupported.
>
> The standalone builder sets the SIZE resource of standalones for Mac OS
> 9 to 15MB by default, not 4 as suggested by the web site. Since
> Revolution loads stacks into memory in their entirety, you should be
> pretty safe if you take the file size of all stacks plus 4MB, taking
> 15MB as a minimum.

Hi Mark,

But do note that on OS9 and lower the default is to use dynamic memory
allocation, so stacks are not loaded into application memory but into
system memory. Therefore, increasing the application memory partition
actually reduces the amount of memory available to your application. In
fact a 15MB application partition is usually much larger than necessary.

I was very perplexed by this when I found it out, so this arcane fact is
now permanently burned into my brain. :-)

Martin Baxter