A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sun Jun 11 11:00:24 EDT 2006

As I have said, I am not qualified to discuss the technicalities of the
distribution of Rev standalones for Linux, how distributable they really
are among the various distros, and whether they might need a "setup" or
"installation" in the traditional sense. But I do know a few facts.

Runtime Revolution produce a fairly sophisticated piece of software for
Linux (far more sophisticated than I could ever produce) called "Runtime
Revolution". If I go to their site, RR for Linux is available in 2
forms: one for Red Hat Linuxes and one for the others called "TGZ". I
have never used a Red Hat Linux, so I download the 2nd of these. Once I
have downloaded and expanded the available archive on my desktop (or
somewhere else if I like), I have a bunch of files. Among these files, I
look for the one called "Revolution.X86" and I double click on it. The
Rev IDE presents itself on screen, and I am ready to begin creating my
own stacks.

Note that in the description above there is no mention of "setup" or
"installation" in the traditional sense of the words. Also, I presume
that as this is the procedure on my Ubuntu Linux, it is also the
procedure on many (all?) other non-Red Hat Linuxes. Speculating, I think
that it may be identical to the procedure on Red Hat Linuxes too, but I
don't know.

What is this then? Magic? Or is Rev itself profoundly different from the
standalone programs I produce using Rev?

As I have said, perhaps I am getting a little lost in the technicalities
of the discussion so far, but I do wonder how many people providing very
interesting contributions actually use or have ever used Rev for Linux.

If there is something wrong with my dummy's logic, then please tell me
where I am going wrong!

Regards,
Bob