A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Fri Jun 9 20:09:23 EDT 2006

Bob, I think you may be getting hung up on the face-value meaning of
the word 'standalone'. As Jacque pointed out, there really is no such
thing in the world of modern personal computers. Maybe it would be
helpful to consider a rev-made 'standalone' as simply a stack that
does not require  the IDE or a separate stackrunner app in order run.

> 2) A program which depends on "constant" libraries in the runtime
> OS only.
>
> To these 2 types of program we need to add non-standalones:
> 3) A program which makes use of "variable" libraries in the runtime
> OS.

>  Only time will tell whether Rev standalones really belong in one
> category or another by this empirical method.

Which category a Rev standalone belongs in is a question of what it's
been designed to do.
What libraries are needed depends entirely on what the stack does.
This is not an exclusively Linux issue, and not a Rev issue, either.
Many things that people do with Rev (and other development tools)
depend on the presence of quicktime, for instance. While quicktime
comes as standard on macs, it does not on windows machines. There
have been many discussions on this list  of how best to deal with that.

There have also been many discussions on this list about the fact
that many ISP/Hosting services fail to run Rev CGIs because they
haven't installed a particular library.

So I'd imagine that an app that simply displays some text would work
reliably on many different Linux distros, and so would fall into your
desired definition of a standalone, but other, more complex apps
might not, and so would fall into your undesired category.

None of this is peculiar to Revolution, it's simply due to the fact
that different distros of Linux exist, which have different 'libraries'.

In the terms you have defined, mac and windows tend to have more
'constant' libraries than Linux, whereas Linux tends to have more
'variable' libraries than mac or windows. This makes life a bit
harder for Linux developers, whichever language they use.

Best,

Mark