OT: Geek poetry

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jun 9 16:31:28 EDT 2006

Happened across this in my archives. I'd never heard of a waka before.

***

The following poem appeared in INFOCUS magazine. The original authors
were Fred Bremmer and Steve Kroese of Calvin College & Seminary of Grand
Rapids, MI.

A poll conducted among INFOCUS readers had established "waka" as the
proper pronunciation for the angle-bracket characters < and >, though
some readers held out resolutely for "norkies."

The text of the poem follows:

<> !*''#
^"`$$-
!*=@$_
%*<>~#4
&[]../
|{,,SYSTEM HALTED

The poem can only be appreciated by reading it aloud, to wit:

Waka waka bang splat tick tick hash,
Caret quote back-tick dollar dollar dash,
Bang splat equal at dollar underscore,
Percent splat waka waka tilde number four,
Ampersand bracket bracket dot dot slash,
Vertical-bar curly bracket comma comma CRASH.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com