Linux installation

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Jun 5 14:14:23 EDT 2006

Ken-

Sunday, June 4, 2006, 4:09:44 PM, you wrote:

> The only clarification I'd make is that the Revolution engine itself (which
> is bundled together with your stack when you make a standalone) requires
> certain OS-level libraries on Linux, and if they are not available, your
> application won't run. This can be seen when trying to use Rev as a CGI on a
> Linux server without all the necessary Linux libraries in place (see
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/cgi001.htm for more
> info). I'm assuming that since the Rev executable can simply be dragged to a
> Linux web server for use as a CGI (or it *used* to, anyway) that the same
> thing is true - if you're missing "libXext.so.6" for example, it may not
> run.  (If anyone sees that I'm wrong, please let me know...)

And the issue of reliance on external libraries isn't confined just to
linux. You can't, for example, build an OSX standalone and expect it
to run under Windows. There are always going to be OS dependencies.
This issue that Bob ran into here is that you can't build a standalone
that relies on gnome GUI libraries and expect it to run in a kde
environment where those libraries don't exist. If I build a kde
standalone that used some specific features of my desktop environment
I'd expect that it wouldn't run on Bob's gnome desktop either.

> Other than that, I'd be kind of careful with your definition of "standalone"
> and the definition used by Revolution for "standalone". Rev applications
> built using "Save as Standalone" can either be self-contained, or can call
> on outside resources as necessary, based on how they were coded. So to be
> glib, sometimes standalones are "standalones", and sometimes they're
> "executables"... ;-)

A standalone could, for example, have a dozen QuickTime movies as
external files. It's not necessarily just a single file. As I see it,
the distinction between a stack and the standalone built from that
stack is that in the IDE the stack relies on resources from the IDE
(the rev engine, various libraries...) which are which are packaged
together into the standalone when it's built. So you end up with as
much of the IDE as you need without the actual IDE.

> Personally, I always use the word "exectuable" when talking about apps on
> Windows and Linux, and "application" when talking about apps on MacOS...

(MSWord's spelling checker didn't like "MacOS", and suggested that you
might have meant "maces"... of course, my email client didn't like
"MSWord's" and suggested "swords"...)

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net