Apple Events?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 17:14:44 EDT 2006

Todd,

See the bottom of this message for a previous post by Ken Ray that may help
you.  Note that Ken Ray will be doing a topic at the upcoming RevCon West.
Also, his site has tips and examples of AppleScript in action.  In your
case, certainly work a look under the hood.

-----------------
Sons of Thunder Software   http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
---------------------

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 6/4/06 1:14 PM, "Todd Geist" <toddgeist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/4/06, Mark Schonewille <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:
>

>> on appleEvent theClass, theID
>>    put "class:" && theClass & return & ¬
>>    "ID" && theID & return into myVar
>>    request appleEvent data
>>    put "AppleEvent data:" && it after myVar
>>    answer myVar
>> end appleEvent
>>
>> You might want to put this into a stack script and make a standalone
>> of that stack.
>

> Thanks Mark!
> But then what do I do?
>
> Lets suppose I want to send Apple Events from Rev for the moment.  Can
> I target this lettle Rev App with an Applescript? Will it then report
> the Apple event syntax that I need to usse?
>
> Also I noticed that the docs say to place the appleEvent Message
> handler in the "current card script, not the stack script. Does  it
> matter?  Or will the message just go throught the current card first
> then on to the stack?

> Todd
------------------ [[ post from Ken Ray re Applescript ]] --------------
Posted on 12/8/05 by Trevor Devore to the Use Revolution list

 Print this tip
News and Rumors Products Services Developer Resources Contact STS About STS
Copyright ©1997-2006 Sons of Thunder Software. All rights reserved.
Send all comments to webmaster at sonsothunder.com.
------------
Actually, it's not lost, Troy! What's necessary is the "aete" resource that
used to be shipped with MetaCard, but for some reason no longer ships with
Revolution. All you need to do is copy/paste using ResFool, and you not only
have "do script" and "eval", but you can use ResFool to make your
application FULLY AppleScriptable... I'm doing this with a custom app I've
built for my clients.

In fact, you can:

tell application "Epicure Dispatcher"  -- an MC/Rev app
  play show "MyShow" without stopping
end tell

and it understands that "play show" translates to the appleEvent "EPICplay"
which it then acts on.

I'm planning on taking about how to AppleScript your app (including creating
a simple Automator action for Rev apps) at Monterey in June, so if you
happen to be going, you can take notes...