standalone problems with 2.7 - won't launch

Curtis Ford cford at gwm.sc.edu
Mon Jul 31 13:55:25 EDT 2006

I've downloaded the trial version of Revolution studio with an eye to entering my project in the MacFormat contest. My project, created in Dreamcard 2.6.x, has worked well in the IDE and with Stackrunner on OS X and Windows. When I've opened it in 2.7, saved it (in 2.7 format, I presume), and made a standalone, I get a message that the standalone was created successfully, but it won't launch. I get one or two bounces of the dock in OSX before it shuts down (UB and also PowerPC versions), and on XP I get an error message "0,0".

I've dug around in the archives and tried several things that I thought could help:
-moved the files & standalones to shorten the overall file path
-tried removing non-ASCII characters from the file names
... but I get the same result.

I also tried making some quick 'hello world' type standalones (some with and some without tildes, umlauts, etc. in the file names), and they all worked fine.

The project isn't too big - 6 cards, about 1400 lines of code, 4 substacks, including Sean Shao's libSmtp253 (using Chipp Walters' altEmailHarness) and the answer & ask dialogs. The app saves user-entered text as HTMLText to external files, reads in those external text files, and manipulates the text in various ways.

Any thoughts on what else I might try? I suspect my chances in the contest might be hurt if I submit a UB standalone that won't open. : (  Thanks for any ideas!

-Curt Ford

Dept Languages, Literatures & Cultures
University of South Carolina