VB COM in Revolution?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jul 27 17:17:43 EDT 2006

Seamus-

Thursday, July 27, 2006, 2:14:26 AM, you wrote:

> AFAIK RunRev does not technically support COM, but can use an external
> process to manage COM objects on it's behalf  - which is nearly as good.
> Look up 'DLL hell' in Google to see the fun you are avoiding...

> That is the case as far as I know. If anybody can correct me, I would be
> happy to learn more.

Exactly. That, at present, is the only way to communicate with COM
objects in a Windows environment, using vbScript as a shim:

rev <--> vbScript <--> COM

Note, however, that as a general-purpose solution this will raise
problems with virus checkers. This may therefore cause some user
consternation as well as problems with corporate systems where the
security policy to disallow the execution of vbScripts can't be
changed.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net