restrict number of characters in a field?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Jul 27 13:38:21 EDT 2006

On 27/7/06 17:11, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2006, at 2:14 AM, Klaus Major wrote:
>
>>> Interestingly the behaviour has changed a bit between 2.6.1 and
>>> 2.7.2, but not fixing this bug.
>
> What changed?

Sorry, that was a bit gnomic!

Confession: I've not really immigrated to 2.7 yet, but spend most of my time
in 2.6.1, with occasional dipping of toes into the modern world.  So I started
looking at this in 2.6.1, and then checked my results in 2.7.

In 2.6.1, the pattern seen in the message watcher when typing into a field is
as follows:

I type 'c':
    rawKeyDown
    keyDown
    rawKeyUp
    rawKeyUp
    keyUp

    and c is entered in the field

I type option-c:
    rawKeyDown
    optionKeyDown
    rawKeyUp
    rawKeyUp
    keyUp

    and c-cedilla is entered in the field

I type option-u:
    rawKeyUp
    rawKeyUp
    keyUp

    and nothing is entered in the field

I type u (immediately after option-u):
    rawKeyUp
    rawKeyUp
    keyUp

    and u-umlaut is entered in the field

The pattern in 2.7 is the same (ie no rawKeyDown or optionKeyDown for the
sequence option-u, u) - except without the duplicate rawKeyUp seen in each
sequence.  So it looks like that was a bug that was quietly spotted and fixed
(I can't see anything about in Bugzilla) - but without addressing this problem.

There.  Full disclosure!

   Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
   Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
   http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866