[OT] xTalk Legal Status

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Sat Jul 22 16:04:17 EDT 2006

On Jul 22, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Mark...
>
> Are you sure? Copyrighting language syntax is pretty tricky stuff
> and I'm
> not at all sure that ANY of those *languages* was ever so protected
> or is
> now.
>
> I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering what your source of such
> certainty is.

Tricky yes, but not impossible of course.  The language syntax to
Visual DialogScript is copyrighted.  But it's a language that is
definitely unique enough to be able to get away with being
copyrighted.  I'm not sure xTalk and variants can say the same.

And of course, how could anyone get a copyright on this if there are
prior works that they are based on?

-Garrett