Combo boxes in background groups

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Jul 22 14:51:39 EDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 11:37 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> Does anyone know of an easy way to include a combo box in a
>> background but permitting each card to have a different value.  I
>> can simulate it a couple different ways, e.g. storing a custom
>> property with the card on closing and reset it on opening but it
>> seems it should be as easy as it is for regular input text fields.
>
> Unfortunately, that's the way you have to do it. I usually use a
> custom property as you describe, and set up the combo box in a
> preOpenCard handler.

In this case, the preOpenBackground might apply depending on whether
backgroundBehavior is actually true.

I have used a virtual property in a control for the value.  The
setProp sets everything as needed.  (I can't use the name 'text' for
the virtual property and it can't behave like the 'text' property,
sigh.)

The virtual property can be for the background, the combo box or for
a group wrapper of the combo box.

An alternative storage location is a hidden field in a wrapper group
(or the background) that is not shared.  This is better for using
multiple copies of a custom control.  An alternative is to use
property sets or computed names to prevent clashes.

Missing in Rev is some sort of preOpenControl.  Making one for one's
controls is an investment of time and might not be worth it.

Dar Scott