[ANN] www.krugle.com --- xtalk not a real language

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 02:03:25 EDT 2006

Jesse Sng wrote:

"So xTalk is not a real language, but it can be used to build real applications. Hmmm....."

The only way anyone can describe xTalk as not being a 'real' language is if one
adheres to an incredibly narrow definition of what constitutes a language.

It reminds me of the dispute about sign-languages used by deaf people -
some academic (who should have known better) stated that sign-languages are
not real languages because they don't use sound! This is palpable rubbish; were
it true these electronically coded bits of stuff that I am belting into my computer at
the moment would not be language either!

This whole debate revolves around an all too common phenomenon that comes
about as a result of human egoism and insecurity:

Become an expert and then rubbish anyone who challenges you in your field.

Of course xTalk is a family of closely related computer languages
(and I wrote at greater length and greater pomposity about this in my MSc thesis
which is available for download at my Yahoo group - so if you have a rainy day
and nothing better to do with yourself . . .), and the word 'real' is essentially
a meaningless token in this context.

Probably the best response to any stuffed-shirts who state that xTalk is not
a real computer language (presumably the corollary of that argument is that
it is a "fake" language - see what I mean?) is for one of the better programmers in
our community to develop a website that searches for xTalk code, and
we then will have no Kugels any more (sorry, a pun I slipped in for Klaus Major and
the German contingent).

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006