Fields automatically selected

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jul 20 16:19:27 EDT 2006

Bill wrote:
> That's
> why I was asking about this problem based on my new version of RunRev as the
> older versions did not select fields when you open a card and I was hoping
> there was some preference I could change.

This isn't new behavior, it has been in the engine ever since MetaCard
had it. On Macs, the engine will automatically select the first
(lowest-layered) editable field on the card. On Windows machines, it
will select the control with layer 1 (button or field, either one.) If
you are running a Windows machine, it may be that in other stacks you
didn't have a field at layer 1, so you didn't notice the behavior,
because button #1 would have the default selection. Or if you on a Mac,
it might be that your other stacks didn't have any editable fields (that
is, they were all locked.)

At any rate, I've long wished we could alter this property but so far
we're stuck with it. To get around it, you can put this in the stack script:

on preOpenCard
  set the traversalOn of fld <theProblemField> to false
  pass preOpenCard
end preOpenCard

on openCard
  set the traversalOn of fld <theProblemField> to true
  pass openCard
end openCard

Then, in any card that happens to have its own openCard handler, make
sure you put "pass openCard" as the last line so that the above handler
in the stack script will also trigger.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com