Personalized Syntax: [was Dependence on Programming Experts]

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Jul 17 17:58:54 EDT 2006

It's only a step in the direction, but this is exactly why I've always
thought custom getProp / setProp handlers were cool language magic.
For example, a while back when I wrote an external for rotating player
objects, I implemented custom handlers to support the "angle" property
for player objects.

While it didn't really make a lick of difference otherwise, I much
enjoyed being able to write:

set the angle of player 1 to 90

instead of something like:

get XSetMovieAngle(player 1, 90)

Since image objects already supported the "angle" property, it really
felt like it was part of the language even though it was really an
external. Cool beans!