[OT] Open Source Replacements

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 02:52:23 EDT 2006

I have just deleted a set of antiquated versions of Commercial programs for 3 reasons:

1. No money to stump up for the newer versions.

2. A bit tired of having to rely on platform dependent programs as I now seem to use Mac, Win and Lin.

3. I have found FREE replacements:

GIMP replaces Photoshop:  http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

INKSCAPE replaces Illustrator: http://www.inkscape.org/download.php

BATTLE FOR WESNOTH 'gags' the children: http://www.wesnoth.org/

OPEN OFFICE replaces APPLE/CLARISWORKS & 'YOU-KNOW-WHAT' : see ref to SSS

{although on the Mac I use NEO-OFFICE, a port of OPEN OFFICE which is more 'Maccy')

AUDACITY - sound recorder, editor: SSS

SSS - Software for Starving Students (& cheap-jacks like myself) - a complete CD stuffed full of
useful software in WIN and MAC flavours: http://softwarefor.org/

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006