AppleScript Question

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Fri Jul 14 17:21:12 EDT 2006

Rev 2.6.1 on OS X

Greetings,

I'm trying to get the Dictionary.app to cooperate with my project,
but can't figure out how to do what I need.

What I want to do is when you highlight a word in a a field, right
click and select a menu entry, to send that word to the
Dictionary.app so that it will look up the word.

No problem on the highlight, right click and menu stuff, but getting
the Dictionary.app to open and look up the word is the problem.

I checked Apple's site to see if Dictionary.app was scriptable, but
it's not.  But!  It says that if you type into Safari Dict:///word
(word being the word you want to lookup) that Safari will open the
Dictionary.app program and have the Dictionary.app lookup the word.

So I tried using revGoURL, which opened Safari, and Dict:///word was
sent to Safari, but Safari added http:// in front of Dict:///word,
which of course did nothing.

I thought that I'd try to see if there was an AppleScript solution to
this using the Dict:///word idea, but my knowledge of AppleScript is
nill and my attempts so far have done nothing at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas or maybe even some code that
might accomplish what I need for this?  Something maybe that opens
Safari hidden, send the data to it without it getting http:// stuffed
in front of it?

Thanks,
-Garrett