fstab

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Jul 14 13:02:27 EDT 2006

Following what I have just said, I am snookered anyway!

The fstab is supposed to tell us whether or not a floppy drive exists in
the hardware. It no longer does that reliably. So there is no point in
trying to mount a drive which might not exist! If you DO try to mount a
drive which does not exist in the hardware, then the failure in Rev will
not give an error anyway!

As far as I see it, the only other hope of resolving this situation lies
in 6 directions:

1) Provide an alternative way of discovering whether or not there is a
floppy physically on the system, independent of examining the fstab.

2) Ask Rev to arrange some kind of error code when an attempt to mount a
drive through the shell fails.

3) Shoot the Linux distro producers.

4) Commit suicide.

5) Return to using only Windows, accompanied by sneers and jeers.

6) Take a nice long nap and hope that things will have sorted themselves
out by the time I (we) wake up.

I am inclined to choose #6. It's Friday.

Bob