fstab

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Jul 14 12:29:35 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

 >> What you said turns out to be absolutely true, but you won't find
this in your fstab on Ubuntu Dapper:
 >> /dev/fd0   /media/floppy0  auto rw,user,noauto  0  0

Mark Wieder wrote:

It's in my Dapper Drake distro - try changing the noauto to auto...

Chris Kassopulo wrote:

fstab is a fixed file, created on installation that includes mountable
devices and their mount points.  I cannot mount a floppy without a valid
entry for the floppy drive in fstab.

Mark Wieder wrote:

That's my understanding of this as well. I guess when I boot into
recovery mode there's a different fstab somewhere that doesn't allow
access to the floppy for some reason, but I haven't yet found out
where that fstab lives.

...and I believe I read that you *can* mount a drive not in fstab, but
don't have the time right now to go look that up...

Mark:

What is confusing this whole issue is the fact that we seem to be
getting different results using the same distro!

Yesterday, I acquired a new computer for my work in Linux. I installed
Ubuntu on it.

Also yesterday, I installed Kubuntu on my old machine.

On both machines, I am not running live CDs. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are
installed to the HD. They are both 100% up to date, since I have
downloaded all updates offered over the Internet. I am NOT running in
recovery or any other mode except NORMAL USER.

Neither the fstab for Ubuntu nor the fstab for Kubuntu has a line for
floppy in it. However, they both have lines for the CD-Rom. [Of course,
both computers possess a floppy drive physically!!]

How or why this should be apparently different on anyone else's
computer, I cannot say.

If you know of a means of mounting a (floppy) drive NOT cited in fstab,
then I would be very grateful to find out what it is. My present
situation is that the following line does not work in Rev any more:-

e.g.
get shell("mount /media/floppy0")

- and consequently my file/picture chooser widgets which were restricted
to funtioning in Ubuntu now no longer work at all with respect to the
floppy drive!

Bob