Internal security of Rev?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 03:25:57 EDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com> replied:
> Cool!  I suppose users should keep up with those as they would keep
> close tabs on a badge.  But the drive might get stolen and the user
> might be a bad guy.

And a possible surprise.

My brother works for a firm that sell/contract/train software for
ballistic prices - $100,000+ for the full package. The software is
licensed with a dongle. Since Noah these have been parallel port
dongles, but with some PCs coming out these days without parallel
ports they've had some pesky users demand USB dongles. After a bit of
fussing the company eventually bit the bullet and produced USB
dongles.

In the last financial year it was noted that the revenue figures were
up, better than expected. After a little analysis of the number the
reason revealed itself. Although 'users' had occasionally lost their
parallel dongles,  the USB dongles proved at lot easier to loose!

As my brother would say to some poor sap who would be trying to get a
new dongle without paying for a whole new license fee would say: "Go
into Harry Winston's and tell them your wife lost her $80,000 diamond
ring and that you'd like a free replacement"

I believe the R&D dept are now feverishly working on making the
smallest USB Dongle known to man;-)