Dependence on Programming Experts

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jul 14 02:28:28 EDT 2006

Recently, Judy Perry wrote:

>> And supporting multiple assignment options, when other languages only
>> support one, is worse than "the establishment" how?...

> Because it makes it harder to learn.  Like English.  I don't know what
> that has to do with 'the establishment,' but it just makes things harder
> to learn.

I respectfully disagree.  As Richard G has repeated several times already,
using an alternate assignment is an *option*, just like using abbreviated
object names (btn, cd, grp).  As an option, it doesn't preclude using the
current syntax.  Search the list archives and you will repeatedly find the
phrase "there are multiple ways of accomplishing what you want..."  Perhaps
you find this confusing but I find this to be one of Rev's strengths.

You can script 'put 5 into x' and be done with it or you can do the
shorthand version and script 'x = 5'.

For me, this seems pretty reasonable and desirable.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design