Colour of a pixel?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jul 13 18:10:16 EDT 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 3:04 AM, John Tregea wrote:

> I thought if I could extract the RGB values from pixels in a
> picture I could solve my concern about storing a password that may
> be read by someone peaking at the source code of a built rev app.

!!

Several people have suggested that you not keep a password in the
code.  I have suggested you not keep the complete password in the
code if any part at all.

> So I take a short text string
> repeat through each character in the string
> convert each character to a number using chartoNum()
> get the value of that pixel in a particular image ("red" value for
> even numbers and "green" value for odd numbers)
> convert the returned number to a character using numtochar()
> put the original char and the returned pixel colour (converted to a
> character) after a temp string to build up a new string
> base64encode the new string and use that as my password. :-)

Use MD5, pick off the bytes you need for a key and skip password.  If
you really want text, then you can hex or base64encode.

Once you have something, stop and get to the rest of the security
problem.

Dar