fstab

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Jul 13 15:16:56 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 13:09, Bob Warren wrote:

 >> Examining other fstab's, there is a variation in the way the floppy and
 >> CD-rom appear (if they appear at all).
 >>
 >> The first word for the floppy can be
 >> /dev/fd0
 >>
 >> The second word for the floppy can be
 >> /media/floppy0
 >> /mnt/floppy
 >> etc.
 >>
 >> The first word for the CD-rom can be
 >> /dev/cdrom
 >> /dev/cdrom1
 >> /dev/hdc
 >> etc.
 >>
 >> The second word for the CD-rom can be
 >> /media/cdrom0
 >> /mnt/cdrom
 >> /mnt/cdrom1
 >> etc.

Rishi Viner wrote:

For what its worth, I understand that these changes are being made to
help make floppy drives and cdroms more hotpluggable -> ie more Win/Mac
like, where you don't need to sync/unmount/eject the drives when you
have finished. It is also to treat them more like usb removable storage
devices. The changes seem to be improving ease of use...

So that's what they're up to!
The only trouble in all this in Rev is that if you try mounting/reading
a drive that doesn't exist, you don't get an error back! The fact that
they are now changing the fstab (or even mtab) conventions which
previously gave information quite clearly about the existence of floppy
and cd-rom drives doesn't help at all!

Bob