fstab

Rishi Viner rishi at puredata.com.au
Thu Jul 13 02:13:23 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 13:09, Bob Warren wrote:
> Examining other fstab's, there is a variation in the way the floppy and
> CD-rom appear (if they appear at all).
>
> The first word for the floppy can be
> /dev/fd0
>
> The second word for the floppy can be
> /media/floppy0
> /mnt/floppy
> etc.
>
> The first word for the CD-rom can be
> /dev/cdrom
> /dev/cdrom1
> /dev/hdc
> etc.
>
> The second word for the CD-rom can be
> /media/cdrom0
> /mnt/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom1
> etc.

For what its worth, I understand that these changes are being made to help
make floppy drives and cdroms more hotpluggable -> ie more Win/Mac like,
where you don't need to sync/unmount/eject the drives when you have finished.
It is also to treat them more like usb removable storage devices. The changes
seem to be improving ease of use...

--
Rishi Viner