DreamHost In-Depth (was Re: Dreamhost?)

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Wed Jul 12 23:28:51 EDT 2006

1) Well what DO you get in SF? Data, please :) I'm just reporting the
facts... six transfers of a large compressed file (3 up, 3 down) at
different times of day. Could have something to do with me being in Detroit,
not "next door" to DreamHost's LAX datacenter.

2) What is bulk-loading a list of space-delimited email aliases going to do
for me? Where do I bulk-load them to? Doesn't this still require that a) I
compose a list of all the aliases I've used over the years and b) update and
upload that list every time I cook up a new alias? It's hard to beat going
to a site and just typing "thissite(at)wjm.org" -- zero administration.

3) They claim the reason for not allowing Spam Assassin to work with
catch-all addresses is it "generates" too much spam... but the truth is the
spam already exists, it's just dropped when there is no mailbox for it to go
to. It's very easy to set the aging on your Spam folder to dump messages
after 7 days, 5 days, or what-have-you. And I really loathe having to go to
Web Mail to confirm my spam.

I'm not saying DreamHost is a bad hosting service. I'm just pointing out the
nitty-gritty things that don't work for me... things you can't find out
until you actually sign up and use a service. I believe I also said several
nice things about them.

DreamHost did finally get back to me on the open tickets, including one
about the Spam Assassin config. They basically said I had a good point and
that I should post a "suggestion" to see if it got any votes, and b) that I
could install my own copy of Spam Assassin in my domain(s) and configure it
on my own. I will look into the second option (though the instructions are a
little cryptic for me).