Dependence on Programming Experts - All Things to All Men

Troy Rollins troy_lists at rpsystems.net
Wed Jul 12 12:54:51 EDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> So, if you (and you know who 'you' are) require all sorts of twiddly
> add-ons that will make xTalk (er, Transcript, er Revolution) more like
> your language of preference then why don't you lobby the makers of
> your language of choice so it becomes more object-based and so
> forth, rather than the other way round.

This coming from the same person who quotes himself as saying this:

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity
of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                        Mathewson, 2006

So I can accept the smug attitude with the knowledge of the source.

> Those of us who swapped over from all those cranky languages of the
> 70s and 80s to Hypercard know very well why we stick with RR.

Some of us swapped for reasons other than the language, why is this
incomprehensible to you? xtalk functionality and xtalk syntax are NOT
the same thing.

What is it that is so worthy of protecting about the language that it
is worth alienating entire classes of users? e.g. telling them "they"
should go elsewhere.

Or, on a bigger picture, you might ask yourself what is it that makes
you believe your own philosophy is more valuable than anyone else's?

Seems I've backed my way into another standard "use list ganking."

Seems I'd forgotten the way this group is. I'll back my way out now,
and attempt to keep it fresh in my memory.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.