Dependence on Programming Experts - All Things to All Men

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 12:30:15 EDT 2006

Rob Cozens wrote:

"So my preferred OPTION is that people learn and use the syntax
specific to the platform with which they are working."

The great danger of trying to appeal to the VB crowd, the C++ crowd,
the Fortran 2006 (?) crowd, et al, is that you will satisfy nobody and
(and this is the BIG 'AND') lose sight of what makes xTalk xTalk and
keeps a loyal bunch of users using RR (and paying for new versions).

So, if you (and you know who 'you' are) require all sorts of twiddly
add-ons that will make xTalk (er, Transcript, er Revolution) more like
your language of preference then why don't you lobby the makers of
your language of choice so it becomes more object-based and so
forth, rather than the other way round.

Those of us who swapped over from all those cranky languages of the
70s and 80s to Hypercard know very well why we stick with RR.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006