Dependence on Programming Experts

Troy Rollins troy_lists at rpsystems.net
Wed Jul 12 10:51:38 EDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> Not really at odds. Within the local statement, the equal holds
> always since only string or number can be on the right side. In the
> latter case, it would be an operator which can have any expression
> on the right.

But it IS at odds, even though the = functionality is extremely
limited in what it can do, because it works in certain instances but
not others.

> In terms of implementation, the former is fairly trivial but the
> latter would require quite a big change in the parser logic, me
> thinks.

Oh, I'll not argue that. I've come to accept that certain things
won't be implemented due to limitations of engineering time. What I
don't agree with is that having a more succinct syntax available
would somehow harm the verbose version of the language. I also don't
agree that x = 5 is somehow less readable or understandable than its
more wordy counterpart.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.